What is it?
How do schools work, how do you develop good working relationships with schools, how do you link your practice to the curriculum, how do you market and present yourself to schools? These are all important areas of understanding necessary to artists wishing to extend their practice to schools.
This half day programme will focus on the changing context for Arts and Cultural individuals and organisations working in schools.
Who is it for?
This workshop is for Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole based artists, makers and creatives only.
Whether you are a performing, visual, media artist or musician getting to work in schools can be an important income strand – as well as crucial to every child’s education. Today it’s harder to access schools as budgets tighten and the curriculum becomes more focused on core subjects.
What will you go away with?
It will be a practical session designed to support artists and organisations to develop practical and pragmatic approaches to growing their offer to schools. This session will give tips on how to market yourself to schools, how to develop personal relationships and how to link your practice and offer to the curriculum to make you an irresistible partner for a school.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explore schools as a market for arts and cultural products (including learning products)
- Provide an overview of changes to the school system and explore the impact this is will have on individuals and organisations with an offer for schools
- Develop your strategy to approach this shifting market, using the RIO (Real Ideas Organisation) business canvas as a key tool in this process.
Who is speaking?
Jonathan Clitheroe, Real Ideas Organisation, Head of Challenge Based Learning has worked in the education sector for the last 10 years as a teacher, creative agent, project manager, consultant, and social entrepreneur. RIO is Arts Council South West Bridge organisation and Jonathan delivers specialist training on working with schools as part of that brief.
What to bring
The session will have a practical focus so come prepared to talk about your offer, your ideas and your challenges. Should you wish to bring some images of your work please do
Laptops and iPads are welcome but not essential
If you are a Sole Trader please bring your Unique Tax Reference Number, if you own a registered company/organisation please bring your registration number.
We will be providing lunch and refreshments, please be sure that you let us know your dietary requirements on the Eventbrite Event Registration.
How to book
- Spaces are limited, only one place available per business
- If you book and find that you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket as soon as possible and at least 48 hours prior to the workshop. This allows us to release the booking to others that are on a waiting list
This Culture+ workshop is specifically for artists and creative practitioners based in Dorset. Culture+ is funded by Arts Council England and the European Regional Development Fund. It is providing support for the creative industry strand of the Dorset Growth Hub programme lead by WSX Enterprise.
19 July 2018
9:30 – 14:30
Borough Gardens House