What is it?
What often goes unnoticed in the struggle to “make a living” from doing creative work is the responsibility to both artist and entrepreneur. Not only do you spend your energy and time developing your talents, finding inspiration, and working as an artist, but as a freelancer you are also required to run a business.
Successful businesses make plans, set goals, and take action.
If you have expectations of having a successful career as a professional artist you will have to do the same. Moreover, many funding and investment organisations will want to see your business plan, which this workshop can help you to develop.
This workshop will consist of a series of three short exercises to help get you started. These are exercises for traditional business practices, tailored to suit artists and creatives.
- Unique Artist Description – Knowing your business and what you want from your career
- Time & Money – Understanding your most valuable resources
- Road Map to Success – Setting a framework of actionable step
Who is it for?
This workshop is for Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole based artists, makers and creatives only.
What will you go away with?
Not only will you go through each step with a creative business professional but you will also get access to fantastic tips and advice and get the opportunity to discuss in small groups how you can develop your creative business.
You’ll go away with a clearer vision of where you want to go with your creative career and with a firm set of actions for how to achieve your business goals.
Who is speaking?
This workshop is delivered by Culture+ Business Developer, Andrew Knutt, who has over 15 years working in the creative industries, is a qualified business advisor, and heavily involved in the art and creative industries scene. Andrew’s workshop style consists of a friendly, informal and practical approach to building your own business plan.
What to bring
- Pen and paper
- Should you wish to bring some images of your work please do
- Laptops and iPads are welcome but not essential
- If you are a Sole Trader please bring your Unique Tax Reference Number, if you own a registered company/organisation please bring your registration number.
We will be providing lunch and refreshments, please be sure that you let us know your dietary requirements on the Eventbrite Event Registration.
How to book
- Spaces are limited, only one place available per business
- If you book and find that you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket as soon as possible and at least 48 hours prior to the workshop. This allows us to release the booking to others that are on a waiting list
This Culture+ workshop is specifically for artists and creative practitioners based in Dorset. Culture+ is funded by Arts Council England and the European Regional Development Fund. It is providing support for the creative industry strand of the Dorset Growth Hub programme lead by WSX Enterprise.
17 May 2018
9:30 – 16:00
Lyme Regis Museum