What is it?
This one-day workshop will explore how to photograph 3D art work with simple equipment.
The morning will be spent learning camera controls and techniques, leaving most of the afternoon for a hands-on session photographing your artwork.
Please note – we will not have enough equipment for everyone to work independently – you will be working as part of a small team taking it in turns to support each other creating images.
Who is it for?
Artists and craft makers based in Dorset who want to produce digital images of their artwork for publicity, either print or screen. It will help to have some familiarity with your camera controls (if not you could bring the handbook) but extensive experience is not required.
About your tutor
Richard Jeffery is a freelance photographer based in Swanage: commercial work specialises in events, usually performance or arts related, and product photography for local artists. He has also taught photography from beginner to C&G/A Level for the past 15 years. He still shoots on film for his own fine art work.
What you’ll go away with
This one-day workshop will cover relevant basic camera controls including
- getting exposure right and colours accurate,
- the simple equipment you might put together to make this a regular part of your working practice,
- some simple lighting ideas to make your work look good,
- the ways in which you can present your work, as well as considerations for print or screen use.
What to bring
Camera, with spare battery if you have one.
A tripod would be extremely useful.
If you have purchased your own lighting but are unsure how to get the best of it please bring that along too (and let us know when you book).
Please bring a small piece of your artwork to photograph. We are working in a temporary space so please keep the dimensions around 30 x 30 x 30 cms. We can still accommodate if your work is larger than this but we will need to know size, medium and material beforehand – please let us know when booking.
It would be helpful to know what you are bringing before the event. Please state your medium e.g. jewellery, stone sculpture, ceramic, textile, etc when booking.
How to book
- Spaces are limited, only one place available per business
- If you book and find that you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket as soon as possible and at least 48 hours prior to the workshop. This allows us to release the booking to others that are on a waiting list
This Culture+ workshop is specifically for artists and creative practitioners based in Dorset. Culture+ is funded by Arts Council England and the European Regional Development Fund. It is providing support for the creative industry strand of the Dorset Growth Hub programme lead by WSX Enterprise.