Background and Objectives
After running a few business skills workshops and courses we learnt that networking for artists and creatives in Dorset is important. We also recognised that there was not many discussions being held that the region need. We then devised Culture3 to enable to discuss, debate and challenge the status quo. To gain inspiration, spark collaborations and revolutionise the way we work in the arts and culture in Dorset.
How did we do it?
At each event, held at various venues across the county, we invite a panel of interesting and experienced people to start the debate, and extend the discussion to us all. The event concludes with networking between artists, creatives and the panel. Preferably the panel member has never spoken in Dorset before. The panel could present its most interesting/ fascinating/unusual projects that relates to discussion/ themes maximum 10 minutes each. The rest of the time is used for questions and discussion with the audience. The conversation we had:
- Developing Dorset Rural Arts Ecology
- Arts and Activism – Part of Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe – BEAF 18
- Arts and Digital – Part of BEAF 18 in collaboration with Silicon South
- Let’s Make Space – Part of BEAF 18
- Composers as entrepreneurs
- Dare To Be Different
- Temporary vs Permanent – Part of BEAF 19
Image is by Tony Amey
This Activity Report is a part of Culture+ Project Report.
What were the challenges?
- Finding the right and interesting speakers for the discussions
- Preventing the discussion to turn into a boring talk shop
What we learnt through this
- Challenging discussions are important
- Friday evenings are not a good time to have a discussion
- Audience have asked for both more time for the panel to present their discussion and more time for the Q&A session
- Moderator have to have a conversation with the panel prior the event
- Having event like this provide people with the sense of being part of a creative community in the county
- From Let’s Make Space – a network was created to tackle the problem of space in Bournemouth
- From Composers as entrepreneur – a Facebook group was created by a composer to continue the discussion