ADC mentored emerging producers Megan Dunford and Georgina Bolt, who created a programme of events for the summer holidays and autumn to help increase awareness and interest in the site. The aim was to develop a community-used space that would bring new audiences as well as interest from other organisations to the Roman Town House.
As a producer, I am still very much learning and developing, not only my methods but my knowledge of different spaces and ways to present creatively to various audiences. This project is a wonderful opportunity for me to learn from the experienced team at The Arts Development Company and to work closely alongside partners such as Dorset Museum and Dorset Council. Working in collaboration is really central to what I believe as a producer and co-producing with Gina to bring some exciting events to the newly refurbished space is a joy – it’s a challenge at times, but I’m building my confidence and learning all the time!
The programme of entertainment events produced by Megan and Gina included:
- The official launch of the Roman Town House (on 29 June 2021) with an event for all partners involved in the project
- Drop-in workshop sessions for children with Printmaker and Illustrator Jen Vincent with activities similar to those that Jen offered for our The Good Life project
- August Art on Saturday: A workshop for adults with Susan R Hughes
- Family Fun Day with ‘The Anarchist’s Mobile Library’
- Summer Holiday Activities including Gobbledegook Theatre, Alistair Gentry and Brave Bold Drama
- Dementia Awareness Events and Activities during September
- The Big Draw Activities during October half term
Megan and Gina wrote a Producer Evaluation of the project, including customer and artist feedback and recommendations for future events. Their report can be found here.
More Information about the Roman Town House
Guided tours and school visits inside the cover building are now available, giving visitors the chance to hear about the different features and see the mosaics, which were cleaned and repaired by specialist conservators as part of the project. Tours can be booked via Dorset Museum.
For more information of planned activity, please visit Dorset Museum’s What’s On page.
Photos: Roman Town House (c) Steve Wallis, Dorset Council. Dorset Youth Theatre (c) Daniel Thomas. The Big Draw (c) Megan Dunford.